Visa & Residence Permits

Current Location:homepage  Campus Life  Visa & Residence Permits

Legal Stay in China

Every foreigner must have valid passport and visa/residence permit to stay in China. Staying with expired or fake passport and visa/residence permit will be treated as being illegal. Therefore, please pay attention to the status of your passport and visa/residence permit and make sure not to leave them expired.

Foreigners living in China should also register the accommodation address at the local police station. Within 24 hours after moving into a new place, the foreigner should take the passport to the local police station or other authorized organization with his/her landlord to get a Registration Form of Temporary Residence. In some hotels and international student apartments, it can be processed directly at the reception. Please keep the Registration Form of Temporary Residence and the passport carefully, and bring them together when going out. 

The Department of Exit and Entry Administration, Qingdao Municipal Public Security Bureau (Visa Center) is the authority in Qingdao for these affairs and plays the similar roles to the Immigration in some other countries. The contact information about the Visa Center in Qingdao is:

Department of Exit and Entry Administration, Qingdao Municipal Public Security Bureau (Visa Center)

Address: No. 101 Alishanlu street, Qingdao  Tel: 0532-86973700
Office hours: 9:00 - 17:00, Monday - Friday (public holidays excluded). 

Penalty of Violation

According to the Rules for the Implementation of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Aliens, illegal stay in China is a serious violation to the law.  

The aliens who illegally stay in China will be subjected to a warning, fine (RMB 500 per day, maximum RMB 10,000), detention, exit within a specified time, repatriation, or deportation. The repatriated and deported foreigners are not allowed for entry within 5 years and 10 years, respectively.

Formalities and Procedures

International students shall hold a study-purpose visa (X1 or X2 visa) or residence permit during their study in China.

The Visa Office (Room A0101) is in charge of the study-purpose visa/residence permit affairs for all the international students of China University of Petroleum, including issuing necessary documents and letters, providing guidance, assistance and consultation service.

Application for Residence Permit

Application for Residence Permit Extension

Application for Visa Extension

Loss of Passport

Renewal/Replacement of Passport

Change of Accommodation Address


1. The validity of visa or residence permit for an international student will not exceed the period of his/her study.

2. International students holding visas or residence permits issued by other universities or colleges in China, need to provide the certificates of study completion or transfer issued by the former universities or colleges.

3. The validity period of visa or residence permit applied is also limited by the study period for which the insurance and tuition are already paid.

4. International students should leave China before the visa or residence permit expires after completing their study. The stay after the visa or residence permit expires is illegal.

5. The university does not officially invite family members to accompany students in China.

6. If any newly admitted student, whose visa or residence permit has expired or will expire in too short a time to process any application of extension, he/she will not be accepted for entrance and is responsible for all the consequences.

7. Visa policies may change according to the law. The university process all residence affairs following the official notice from the Department of Exit and Entry Administration, Qingdao Municipal Public Security Bureau.

If you have any question about your passport and visa, do not hesitate to ask the staff in the VISA Office. We would like to provide information and necessary assistance.